The Governance Center is affiliated to the National Institute of Governance and Sustainable Development (NIGSD), which is a specialized institute in the field of research, training, and consulting in different topics with a special focus on governance and sustainable development. Its services cover all three sectors: governmental, private, and non-profit.
The main goal of the Governance Center is to develop the capabilities of human cadres in the areas of governance, compliance and institutional excellence in cooperation with our internal and external partners. In addition, the center aims to support Egyptian authorities in line with their vision by providing innovative and effective solutions. This would make the government able to implement its development plans, serve the citizens, and boost their confidence in it, based on the governance elements, which are transparency and integrity, efficiency and effectiveness, the rule of law, and responsibility and accountability.
To be the first leader think tank, training center and supplier of solutions and policy formulations specialized in Governance in Egypt and the Middle East.
To provide a professional level of services in the field of governance for the public and private sectors as well as NGOs, and to develop the human capabilities and competencies, and to support them to work within the framework of governance to achieve business continuity and excellence in performance, that would in turn support sustainable development efforts.
- Improving the ranking of Egypt in regional and international governance indicators to be among top 30 countries.
- Enhancing the governance of institutions and systems to achieve the sustainable development goals.
- Raising awareness about the importance of governance in the public, private and non-profit sectors, as well as citizens.
- Contributing in the preparation of government cadres to be able to formulate policies and develop strategies and plans in the field of achieving good governance.
- Communicating and cooperating with regional and international governance institutions.
- Analyzing the performance of the government apparatus, and striving to offer solutions to develop and update it in a sustainable way.
- Constructing a national indicator for Governance, based on a reliable scientific methodology.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Periodically review the national governance practices, taking into consideration established governance best practices nationally, regionally and internationally.
- Publishing an annual report on Egypt’s ranking in international and regional governance indicators, as well as providing recommendations to improve Egypt’s rank and how to move forward.
- Establishing a valid reliable national indicator for governance that takes into account, national, regional and international aspects.
- Preparing different publications (reports, studies, policy briefs..etc.) on different topics of governance and anti-corruption, and disseminating them on concerned stakeholders.
- Preparing specialized training programs on governance and anti-corruption that target different levels of audience in all sectors.
- Providing advisory services in the field of good governance and mechanisms to reduce corruption to various government units and the private sector.
- Building and supporting partnerships with government bodies, private sector, and civil society organizations.
- Providing technical support to Ministries’ units and the National Coordinating Committee for Combating Corruption to achieve transparency and follow up Egypt’s obligations towards the implementation of the United Nations Convention against Corruption.
- Organizing seminars, workshops, forums, webinars and conferences in the fields of the Center.
The Governance Center is accountable to the Executive director of NIGSD, and its board of trustees.
Meetings and Reporting
- Throughout the year, the team of the governance center shall meet regularly to discuss the work plan of the center and the progress made on it.
- The Governance center report formally to the Executive director NIGSD on work progress throughout the year.
- The center will provide a short summary of its annual actions for inclusion in the Annual Report of the NIGSD.